- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1in cubes
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 small egg yolk
- salt and freshly ground black peppers
- low-calorie cooking spray
salad leaves and lime wedges, to serve
For the mayo
- 4 level tbsp fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lime
1) Place the sweet potato in a large pot and fill with just enoughwater to cover (I cooked with the onion for 6 minutes in the PKP) Bring to a boil and cook until the potato is tenderand easily pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly,transfer to a mixing bowl and mash well.
2) Stir in the red chilli, scallions, garlic, cumin seeds, cilantro and egg yolk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3) When the mixture is cool enough, use your hands to form the potato mixture into six slightly flattened cakes, about 6in in diameter, and spray with low-calorie cooking spray ( I used chilli fry lite). Place in a preheated oven for 30 minutes and cook the potato cakes, three at a time, for about 5–6 minutes until golden brown on each side, turning once.
4) Make the mayo by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve the sweet potato cakes on a bed of arugula or salad leaves with a dollop of the sweet chili mayo and lime wedges.