Now I like a little cola chicken (especially with noodles) yet with gammon, in the past I’ve about eaten my own body weight of campfire stew and to be truthful, I’m bored with it and the freezer still has so many take away containers of the stuff still piled high.. so needed something new…ta da! Here we have cola gammon. It is dry, a little salty but with a honey, firm outer… really tasty and 2 Syns for the Lot.. I made 2 meals and froze a further 2..
- 1kg lean gammon joint, or with all fat removed
- 1.5 litres of diet coke
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 peppercorns
- 2 tsp runny honey *(2 syns)
- Place the fat trimmed gammon in a pan, covered with water and boil for 10 minutes to remove any excess salt.
- Discard the water and place the gammon in a slow cooker or as I did, the PKP.
- Now add in all the ingredients except the honey and cook on low for 6-7 hours (mine went in the PKP on stew for 2 hours which was perfect).
- Preheat your oven on 200 degrees.
- Remove the gammon (and I fished out the onions and carrots) from the juice, place on a roasting dish and brush the meat with the runny honey.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve on rice, syn free chips or as I have, mash and leeks ( cooked in the PKP for 7 mins on steam) and baked beans, or add additional super free foods to your plate… Voila!